Saturday, December 12, 2009

Holiday Reading

I have three books that I am going to be reading over the holiday break!  I haven't actually read a book/novel for ages.  Now, I don't have to worry about textbooks and work has slowed down a bit that when I get home I won't be so exhausted.  Take a look at them, I highly recommend all three!

1.

  

The Kitchen Boy
Robert Alexander

A recollection of the Romanov family and their kidnapping/murder by the Bolsheviks in the point of view of the literal kitchen boy.  It has a great historical background and is very touching.  Part non-fiction/fiction, it combines the actual memories of the kitchen boy combined with ideas and theories of what happened to the Romanov family during this civil uprising. 









2.     Hurry Down Sunshine
            Michael Greenberg

The author, Michael Greenberg, recounts the early memories he has of his "enlightened" daughter, Sally.  After he and her mother separate, changes occur in Sally and her problems become more evident.  Until at the age of fifteen, he realizes "that Sally has been struck mad".  It is a realistic memoir of a young girl diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder and the ups and downs not only she goes through but what her father goes through with her. 

In my opinion, this is a book written with such honesty concerning a topic that is hidden in our society.  It was refreshing to read something so upfront and candid about the struggles of mental disorders.







 3.   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
         Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

My sister, her mother in-law and sister in-law all recommended this book.  Guernsey, is a small island located between Britain and France in the English Channel. 

"As her quirky, loveable characters cite the works of Shakespeare, Austen, and the Brontës, Shaffer subtly weaves those writers’ themes into her own narrative. However, it is the tragic stories of life under Nazi occupation that animate the novel and give it its urgency; furthermore, the novel explores the darker side of human nature without becoming maudlin."

I love books that have some relation to World War II, I have always had an interest into this era.  Plus, it brings some refreshing quotes from literary greats Shakespeare, Austen, and the Brontes sisters, all who I feel in love with in high school.

No comments: